Monday, October 20, 2014

What I have been up to since my last blog

Since my last blog, I have been busy putting together historical data from my household from water usage, sewer usage, and electric usage to natural gas usage (the last two years, of which last year was the coldest in decades and on some days record cold temperatures for Minnesota).  I have been setting up statistical spreadsheets and attempting to set up templates that you could use to replicate what I have done.  Here is a list of completed tasks (see my task list below this):

  • I have counted the number of electrical outlets and light. 
  • I have contacted CenterPoint Energy for a home energy audit – that will occur this Thursday (cost $100).
  • Coincidentally, the day that I called for the energy audit; I received an email from CenterPoint Energy offering customers three free faucet aerators and three free water savings shower heads.  I have ordered them and expect them in 8 weeks (cost $0).  I have also ordered the winterization kit (cost $25).
  • I have purchased a hot water heater insulation kit (cost $25) and called the plumber to disconnect one of the two linked hot water heaters (cost TBA). 
  • I have also replaced six ceiling lights which each had four 40-watt incandescent light bulbs (160 watts per ceiling light) with six 60-watt equivalent LED ceiling lights (cost $260 for 22 LED 60-watt bulbs and 6 LED 60-watt ceiling lights).
  • I have purchased the Nest Thermostat (cost $249).
 
I will be discussing each of these in more detail in ensuing blogs.  My goal is to show how each of us can reduce our energy usage by investing in technology.  I will be re-calculating the carbon footprint after the implementation of each of these changes.  Mind you, that is all theoretical savings in carbon, but I can demonstrate energy savings through the statistics that I am accumulating.


Task List


No comments:

Post a Comment