Monday, May 23, 2016

Residential Water Usage

With water usage increasingly becoming a major environmental issue, I decided to be part of the solution rather than the cause.  According to the EPA, we use 400 gallons of water per day.  Below is a pie chart of that usage (this does not include water used to irrigate a lawn).


Source: EPA

Armed with that information, I took a look at my water usage provided by the City of Plymouth (Plymouth, MN) in my monthly utility bill.  I then looked at the various devices that were contributing to this water consumption and what were the cheapest ways to reduce the outflow. 

My first change was to one of the toilets.  We were remodeling a powder room and we replaced a 3.5 gallon per flush (gpf) with a WaterSense rated toilet at 1.3 gpf.  (I still have 3 more to replace).  Look into your local community, there may be rebates available to replace these wasteful toilets.  I sit on the City of Plymouth’s Environmental Quality Committee and we have instituted a rebate program to encourage the replacement or installation of new toilets, washing machines and water irrigation controllers.

We then replaced our washing machine and dishwasher with water efficient units as it was time to replace these devices.

I then took advantage of a CenterPoint Energy’s offer to reduce water consumption by replacing the showerheads and faucet aerators with water efficient ones.  The impact of this was greater than I expected.  With two teenage boys taking long showers, the flowrate was cut in half, which resulted in shorter showers.  The boys complained at first that the flow rate was terrible.  With a little education, they came around.  They shortened their showers.  The aerators contributed significantly as they act as restrictors.  This means less water used and less time spent in pre-wash.

I also checked all water consuming devices for leakages and was unable to detect any.

Lastly, I looked at our irrigation system.  As mentioned above, I sit on the City of Plymouth’s Environmental Quality Committee.  We are charged with developing ideas and plans on how to reduce the city’s consumption of energy and water, reducing organic and inorganic wastes, and any other ideas for decreasing waste of any kind.  As a geologist, I volunteered to head up the water analysis program of our lake association.  The watershed in which we live is important to water quality as our water spills into a downstream system of waterways that eventually connect to the Mississippi River.  We have a very active and reputable Department of Natural Resources that pushes information down and out so that we, at the community level, can participate in any water quality issues and programs that are at the forefront of the DNR. 

The City of Plymouth, had just looked at several years of data to determine where the water usage was the most wasteful.  For we Minnesotans, it was lawn irrigation.  We use the same amount of water on 100 degree Fahrenheit days as rainy days.  What that means is that the water controllers are only good for setting watering schedules on odd or even address days.  Thankfully, there are a number of Smart Water Controllers on the market.  I decided to try - Skydrop (others are equally good, but this one works with my Nest thermostat).  The interesting part of this combination is that should my Nest smoke alarm detect smoke, it will signal my Nest thermostat to shut off the heat/AC blower and turn on the irrigation system for 3 minutes to wet the area around the house). That is remarkable from a fire safety prospective.  I will report next on installation and functionality of the system and then on whether or not it conserved water.


No comments:

Post a Comment